Friday, 14 October 2016

Coffee and Tea Fabric Dying

Hello there!

A couple of weeks back, when I was planning new pillow covers for the living room, I was hoping to introduce a striped pattern.  You see, as much as I love our quatrefoil patterned draperies, I struggle with what other geometric patterns I can use in the room.  I settled on a stripe as it is a fairly nuetral pattern.  When I was searching for the right stripe I was feeling a little guilty as I have a striped fabric in my stash.


However, it is a white and grey stripe and a little harsh for this room, which really needed a cream and grey stripe.  In the hopes of saving some money I tested a  few scraps of fabric, with some coffee and tea dying.   The just coffee scrap was a little too dark, and the just tea scrap was a little too red.


But the scrap that I soaked in both coffee and tea, was just perfect!  The photos above shows a piece of dyed and un-dyed fabric.


After soaking, I washed, dried and ironed the fabric prior to using it for sewing.


I then whipped up this super quick and easy pillow cover using this process.


All in all, it turned out great and saved me a bit of money and saved Ian the agony of waiting for me to scour the fabric store, yet again!

Have a good one friends!
Ian and Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment